2000 Boat Sales & Class Information
All images courtesy of 2000 Class Association
The RS 2000, formerly known as the Laser 2000, is an entry-level performance asymmetric sailing dinghy. It is equally suitable for cruisers, families as well as casual and serious racers. It’s easy to sail, yet demanding to sail well. It has all the controls that the serious racer wants to see on their boat. They are hard to break and relatively inexpensive to maintain and repair.
Hugely Popular Stable Racing Dinghy
Used boats and parts hold their value well – there’s strong demand, in part because of the excellent Class Association promoting the class and its events and the very strong family friendly, training and sporting ethos of the Association.
The Association organises a UK national circuit “Millennium Series”, National Championships, Welsh Championships and Inlands Championships. It also delivers training sessions and provides support/advice for all. (2000class.org)
2000 Portsmouth Yardstick number
The Portsmouth Yardstick is used to calculate the performance of mixed classes of boats in a handicap race. The lower the PY the faster the boat. For illustration – a Dart 18 has a PY of 832, a Laser 1 ILCA7 has a PY of 1100 and a Topper has a PY of 1365. More information and later PY numbers can be found here – RYA PY
- 2000 PY number is currently 1114
The following information was provided by the Class Association when asked to provide a list of boats most similar to the 2000 in terms of crew weight, performance, and ease of sailing.
- The 2000 has rather superseded the Wayfarer as the family choice of dinghy since its launch in the late 1990s. It sits somewhere between the RS 200 and the RS 400 in terms of being an asymmetric racer.
- Less sensitive than a RS 200, able to take larger crew weights, a more stable vehicle.
- Less powerful than a RS 400 and not requiring the same strength to sail in big breeze.
- The 2000 is a real family boat. It is usually sailed by couple, or by a parent and child. If it were a car it might be like an Audi 4 or Audi A6 estate or a Ford Mondeo estate with a 2.5 litre engine : it will take your family wherever it wants to go, but if you want to put your foot down, you can really have some adrenaline fuelled fun!
All photographs were supplied by Mark Foley of the UK 2000 Class Association with kind consent to publish on Dinghy Mart
2000 useful links
2000 Sailing Dinghies for Sale
If you have got a 2000 you’d like to sell please advertise it FREE on DinghyMart. We will help sell your boat by sharing it on relevant social media pages. Remember – if you found this page, so will someone else looking to buy or sell a Laser 2000 sailing dinghy.
>> Back to TOP
PLEASE show your SUPPORT 🙏
*DinghyMart are affiliated to the Amazon LLP Associates program. The website owner may earn commission on resulting sales. This is the SOLE means of REVENUE earning for this website so your support is very much appreciated 🙏
If you can't find one here... try eBay
It might not be the first place that springs to mind when buying or selling a dinghy - but it's definitely worth looking. We've found some great boats on eBay. My last Topper Topaz Race X came from eBay and it was £400 cheaper than similar elsewhere. Click the banner below to browse the latest listings. People sometimes don't know precisely what it is they're selling ... try a few searches using different phrases. Start with the obvious - CLASS - eg. Laser or Topper or SuperNova etc.
*DinghyMart are affiliated to the EPN (eBay Partners Network). The website owner may earn commission on resulting sales